Saturday, January 26, 2013

Quilting Project - Swing

When someone passes unexpectedly it leaves a more raw wound than from someone who had been sick for a long time.  It's the feeling of being blindsided, of realizing that anything could happen at any time.  The news suggests this to us every day but those people who die on TV, they aren't real.

My friend with whom I had a monthly quilting date, who taught me how to brew a proper cup of tea, who collected a massive variety of antiques, who hosted dinner parties, loved to walk, adopted a stray cat who saved her as much as she saved him, and who was always a good influence.  Was real.

After a year of being to raw to even want to quilt, I found this bookmark on the ground:
There was something so delicate and so beautiful that it inspired me.  I wanted to recreate it.  And now I am.  Credit for this work goes to Ms. Auralea Krieger.  Check out her sight; it's full of beautiful art in a similar vein (and better pictures of it).



There are many others, I know, who have much more expertise on the subject of quilting.  I learned by word of mouth and imitation, as well as forcing my way forward without care for the rules.  My favorite method is the freezer paper applique technique because it gets all the work done ahead of time.  Then it's just stitching away.  The photo of my layout is still just laid down.  The sewing is in progress so I'll show you what happens when it's finished.  (So far I'm putting all the pieces on out of order.  Cora would be shaking me.)  I think I might change the arms and embroider on her yellow dress detail and her shoes (not pictured)

No comments:

Post a Comment