Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Easy Delicious Real Bread

So carbohydrates are awesome, right?  Am I right?  There's nothing like homemade bread (except maybe the elusive challah baguette I bought in the Meat Packing District in NYC about 7 years ago). Sometimes bread seems like a project.  Sometimes it seems difficult.  In all honesty: it's neither.


I've made this recipe twice now using all whole-wheat flour.  The product comes out dense and hearty, thoroughly filling and great for sandwiches.  Active time for this loaf is probably fifteen minutes.  The ingredients sum to four: flour, yeast, salt, and water.  No sodium dioxide?  No xanthan gum?  No soy bi-products?  That's right.  It makes it real food.  Check the ingredient list on the bread at the grocery store.  I haven't looked at the bakery offerings but anything bagged and shipped is full of junk.


My bread got sliced and went into the freezer.  It takes a couple weeks for hubby and me to finish it since it's mostly it got eaten one piece at a time with soup or as a snack toasted with locally produced butter.  (Yeah, and I don't think he's eating it at all)


If you've never tried to make bread I highly recommend the Frugal Living method for two reasons: first you don't have to proof the yeast with water of a specific temperature, and second there's no kneading, which means (in my case) no over-kneading.

No comments:

Post a Comment