Monday, June 3, 2013

Black Bean and Avocado Salad

Yeah, so this is what happened to my other avocado.  And this time, I remembered to grace you with my terrible photography.  I know it's awful.  One of my best traits is my inability to commit to commercial purchases over $100.  Ergo, the cheap point-and-shoot.  (EDIT: There's no photo; since I made a draft of this in January and it's now June, and the photos were soooo bad, I deleted all of them, totally forgetting this post)

Know what's not terrible?  Black bean salad.  This brings together the basics real quick in order to make sure husband and wife have a lunch to take to work the next day.

The beans are canned b/c it's too much work to make them.  The corn was frozen from the Maryland peak season, so it was sweet, crunchy and delicious, but canned will work too.  The cilantro is fresh because that's the only way it gives it flavor.  And the spices are completely ad-libbed.  So without further ado:

Black Bean and Avocado Salad
Modified from Meal in a Hass Avocado

Ingredients:
1 Avocado, diced
1 (15 1/2 oz) can of black beans
1 (10 oz?  is that the standard size?) can of corn kernels
1 large carrot, shredded (I did it myself on my grater b/c I won't pay for a machine to do it for me)
1/2 bunch of green onions, thinly sliced (go with your gut)
1/4 lime
2 shakes of cayenne
4 shakes of chili powder
2 shakes of celery salt

Directions: squeeze the lime over the diced avocado to prevent browning, then mix everything together.  I made the whole thing in the colander I rinsed the beans in, then portioned it out into lunch containers.  It made two and a half lunches (stupid amount.  the original recipe said to use salsa.  If I had, maybe I would have gotten three lunches and not have had to make up my spices.)

No comments:

Post a Comment